Sunday, April 13, 2008

People is your legacy

I spent this past weekend with my friend (and his family) and former colleague of mine Ignacio (Nacho) Arrizabalaga.
Nacho and I have been friends for many years and in fact he was kind of my mentor until my MBA so to say. Life reserves you a lot of surprises and at some point there was an opportunity for him to join my team in Prague and he did. He took the risk to jump into a complete new sector (he used to work in manufacturing and FMCG) and also to take a position junior to his experience. But I think the risk paid off and 3 years later he took several director roles after I left Oskar/Vodafone and recently he joined a regional cable operator in Spain as Director of Operations and a future CEO replacement candidate
Why I am talking about this? Well I did have an interesting conversation with one of my partners past week. There I was mentioning that my management style reflects my thoughts that people is your legacy. Nothing makes me happier and prouder that seeing how Nacho did evolve when I left Oskar/Vodafone, how 3 or 4 people in my team have been promoted to manager and/or director afterwards and clearly they have taken something of you and your style with them. And I hope to see similar things in mmCHANNEL people in the future, that is the results of investing on coaching people and letting them take into responsibilities little by little

No comments:

Post a Comment