Friday, January 15, 2010

A great article (INC. magazine) and after thoughts: When and How to micromanage

A while ago (probably almost 2 years) I wrote about how I found a magazine that could cover on my reading habits the departure (Closure) of Business 2.0, Inc. magazine. Unfortunately the magazine only gets print in the US, so I only get to read it 3 or 4 times a year (when I go or when someone from there bring it to me)
So I was reading the December/January number and this article caught my attention When and How to micromanage by c
olumnist Joel Spolsky is the co-founder and CEO of Fog Creek Software in New York City, and the host of the popular and influential blog Joel on Software.

This is the part that got stuck on my head and I did underline it to write about

"...
Doesn't micromanagement turn smart people into robots?

Yes, maybe. But here's my new theory: At the top of every company, there's at least one person who really cares and really wants the product and the customer experience to be great. That's you, and me, and Ryan. Below that person, there are layers of people, many of whom are equally dedicated and equally talented.

But at some point as you work your way through an organization, you find pockets of people who don't care that much. For them, it's a job. They just want to get through the day and don't find it upsetting that ...... (something important in your business not working right now) .
If you're lucky, none of those people are employed by your company. But the minute you begin to rely on outside vendors, you expose yourself to their people, some of whom inevitably just won't care enough or know enough or have the right skills to deliver the awesome experience you're trying to deliver."



I believe all entrepreneurs (past, present and future) are left with this problem. The more successful we become usually the larger our organizations (or relaying on vendors) and the more likely the problem is to appear.

So is the solution micromanagement? Probably for key aspects or key moments of a week, a month or a sales-cycle the answer is YES. The good news, if you have done good recruiting and you are lucky (because you need luck), somebody in your team understand as well as you the importance of that particular event and he or she is micromanaging it as we speak



Read Joel's ful article on INC.com here


Ciao

CAM




No comments:

Post a Comment